[OT] Go officially won't get generics

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 9 07:18:57 PDT 2014

On Friday, 9 May 2014 at 13:59:38 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Friday, 9 May 2014 at 07:38:46 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> I had the opportunity to meet Wirth at CERN, when he and a few
>> ETHZ members took part on the Oberon Day, back in 2004.
>>
>> He is really great guy, but he could not understand why Oberon
>> was being ignored in the industry. As he expected the desire
>> for quality would drive developers to it.
>
> From Wirth published books and known projects I have an
> impression that he is a brilliant scientist who has an
> extremely basic understanding of what engineers need. His
> languages are all about proposing academical solutions to
> practical problems.

There is this conflict between textbooks and real world (hardware
/ software interaction). Walter once said on this forum that when
he sees textbook examples, he says that things don't really work
that way. Through D, I've learned a lot about that, because the
language was designed on hindsight and with the machine in mind.