More radical ideas about gc and reference counting

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 10 06:33:31 PDT 2014

On 10 May 2014 17:08, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 5/9/14, 11:27 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> ARC overhead would have no meaningful impact on performance, GC may
>> potentially freeze execution. I am certain I would never notice ARC
>> overhead on a profiler, and if I did, there are very simple methods to
>> shift it elsewhere in the few specific circumstances it emerges.
>

> This is very, very, very wrong. -- Andrei

Is there any evidence to support that assertion?
I have many colleagues who work on phones. The patterns I see are that
the iOS guys who use Obj-C never complain about it, and the GC guys
are often struggling with it.
The bias in gamedev is strongly towards iOS too, so that should be a
more populous group to draw samples from.