More radical ideas about gc and reference counting

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 10 15:40:16 PDT 2014

On 5/10/2014 8:54 AM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I can't think of many situations where that wouldn't be the case. What
> sort of software is it not an issue to experience intermittent
> freezing?

Batch programs, for example a compiler.

Essentially any program that is not interactive and does not have hard realtime
requirements, which is (possibly) most programs.

> Recall too that D has significant opportunity to
> improve on ARC as implemented by other languages,

Compiler improvements to improve on ARC are the same technology as used to
improve GC.

You're essentially arguing that one is easy pickings and the other is
impractically difficult, but they're actually about the same level.