[OT] Go officially won't get generics

Bienlein via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 12 00:22:37 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 7 May 2014 at 15:54:42 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> So the videos of the Gophercon 2014 are being made available.
>
> Rob Pike did the keynote. At the expected question about
> generics,
> his answer was "There are no plans for generics. I said we're
> going to leave the language; we're done.".
>
> Discussion ongoing on HN,

> --
> Paulo

When Rob Pike was asked at the end of his keynote speech whether
Go will support generics one day the majority of the audience was
immediately laughing. If I were into Go this would make me think.

I don't think parameterized types are necessary for a typed
language to be "good". But in Go it would be helpful to allow
workarounds for modelling problems. As I like the way concurrency
is done in Go I tried several times to find programming solutions
that can manage without violating visibility rules or having
duplicate variables or some other compromise. But there was
simply no way.