radical ideas about GC and ARC : need to be time driven?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 12 11:34:37 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 11 May 2014 at 05:16:26 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> This is what java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue are for in Java, but
> one needs to be a GC expert on how to use it, otherwise it will
> hinder the GCs work.

I think all memory-partitioning-related performance requires
expert knowledge. If people care about performance and
reliability they have to accept that they cannot blindly use
abstractions or throw everything into the same bag.

Java is probably a good example of how unrealistic it is to have
a general programming language that does reasonable well in most
domains. The outcome has not been "everybody under the Sun
umbrella", but a wide variety of Java runtime-solutions and
special systems.