Next step on reference counting topics

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 12 12:00:39 PDT 2014

There's been a lot of talk lately regarding improving resource
management for D, and I'd like to figure the next logical step to take.
It seems clear that we have reached a collective impasse on a few
fundamentals, and that more just talk about it all is at the point of
diminishing returns.

One action item that is hopefully useful to people of all viewpoints is
to double down on library support, and see how far we can get and what
insights we collect from the experience.

For that I'm proposing we start real work toward a state-of-the-art
std.refcounted module. It would include adapters for class, array, and
pointer types, and should inform language improvements for qualifiers
(i.e. the tail-const problem), copy elision, literals, operators, and such.

Who wants to champion this effort?

Thanks,

Andrei