borrowed pointers vs ref

logicchains via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 12 21:07:52 PDT 2014

On Monday, 12 May 2014 at 21:15:38 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> Hm... the one piece that I think would be damaging is to not be
> able to take an address of the 'this' reference. It's probably
> OK to just use pointers and static functions in some cases, but
> member functions do not have that luxury. In other words,
> operators.
>
> Big example would be a doubly linked list used with ~=.
>
> -Steve

This sounds a bit like an 'issue' of sorts that Rust has with
borrowed pointers, where certain types of datastructures cannot
be written without resorting to the 'unsafe' parts of the
language. The solution they've adopted is having such code
written in libraries so that the user doesn't have to mess around
with 'unsafe'.