radical ideas about GC and ARC : need to be time driven?

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 12 21:51:27 PDT 2014

On Monday, 12 May 2014 at 21:54:51 UTC, Xavier Bigand wrote:
> I don't really understand why there is no parser with something
> like slices in a language without GC. It's not possible to put
> the array to a more globally place, then the parser API will
> use 2 indexes instead of the buffer as parameter?

Slices are counterproductive if you want to provide
standard-compliant xml implementation, i.e. unescape strings. It
also requires more memory to hold entire xml document and can't
collect nodes, which became unused. Usually xml parsers use a
string table to reuse all repetitive strings in xml, reducing
memory requirements.