More radical ideas about gc and reference counting

Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 12 23:06:37 PDT 2014

On 12.05.2014 13:53, "Marc Schütz" <schuetzm at gmx.net>" wrote:

> I'm surprised that you didn't include:
>
> 3. Thread-local GC, isolated zones (restricting where references to
> objects of a particular heap can be placed), exempting certain threads
> from GC completely, ...

This comes up from time to time, but to me it is very blurry how this
can work in reality.

Considering how "shared" is supposed to be used to be useful (do some
locking, then cast away "shared") there is no guarantee by the language
that any object is actually thread local (no references from other
threads). Working with immutable (e.g. strings) is shared by design.