New opportunities for D => ASM.js

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 14 02:49:20 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 13 May 2014 at 17:30:44 UTC, Nicolas F. wrote:
> It also doesn't do multithreading, as far as I know.

HTML5 support Web Workers running in isolates.

> Also three times slower for peak performance is not near-native.

They claim "1.5", but I think that is questionable.

> The only good idea that I see in this is that it allows you to
> do client-side web-development without having to use JS.

If you have a framework that allows you to compile to PNACL,
asm.js, iOS and Android using WebGL/OpenGL 2ES then you are
pretty close to cross platform for interactive apps. Better than
Flash, that's pretty good.

Unity apparently compiles to asm.js:

http://beta.unity3d.com/jonas/AngryBots/