64-bit DMD for windows?

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 14 13:10:12 PDT 2014

On 5/14/2014 2:28 PM, steven kladitis wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13 May 2014 at 13:53:36 UTC, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On 13 May 2014 23:24, steven kladitis via Digitalmars-d
>> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> if the -m64 lets the compiled code use 64 bit registers and ints are
>>> now 64
>>> bit then great! What is VC++, is it free?
>>
>> Pointers are 64bits.
>> int is 32 bits, long is 64 bits.
>> size_t is 64 bits.
>>
>> VC++ is Microsoft's compiler, DMD-x64 uses the de-facto standard
>> Microsoft linker, since OPTLINK doesn't support 64bit.
>> It is available for free.
>
> I have installed it and am still unable to compile a 64 bit D program.
>
> C:\d\dmd2\samples\d>dmd wc.d
>
> C:\d\dmd2\samples\d>dmd -m64 wc.d
> --- errorlevel -1073741515

If you use the Windows Installer for DMD after you've installed VC++,
then it should automatically set everything up for you (I haven't tried
it personally, but I know the DMD Win Installer people went to a lot of
effort to make it work, so it should work).

Oh, I forgot to mention, you'll also need to install the Microsoft's
Windows SDK (not sure if that's automatically done when installing VC++
or not.) So after VC++ and the WinSDK are installed, then run DMD's
Windows installer, and you should be good.

Or you can manually setup DMD's sc.ini with the right paths to VC++ and
the WinSDK (that's what I did), but it's probably easier to just run the
DMD Windows Installer again after all the MS stuff is installed.