New opportunities for D => ASM.js

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 14 13:50:46 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 13 May 2014 at 17:16:18 UTC, Etienne wrote:
> I'd like to point out that asm.js is a very fast subset of the
> javascript language that allows almost native speeds (3x
> slowdown vs C only) which enables games to be run in the
> browser without external dependencies.

You keep saying the browser, but what you mean is firefox (and
other mozilla products).

For the story, mozilla dropped out of the NaCl project so they
can pull out their me too solution. Now we are back to where we
were 10 years ago with the browser war. We could have one unified
standard int he name of NaCl, but fuck that, now we have too.

ASM.js is inferior in every possible way (slower, bigger source,
more overhead, you name it) to NaCl except one: ASM.js run in a
standard JS interpreter. Except that if you are using this, it is
because you need the speed in the first place. To take the
example of video game, can you claim that the game works when you
run it at 0.5fps ?

Sadly, because of mozilla moves with ASM.js, there is no industry
standard to run native things in the browser. Until things settle
down, these are cool, but useless technologies.