Next step on reference counting topics

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 15 08:46:14 PDT 2014

On 5/15/14, 6:02 AM, Dicebot wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13 May 2014 at 15:14:16 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 5/13/14, 6:43 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>>> On actual topic of next step - I agree with Jacob, removing all
>>> internal allocations from Phobos is most beneficial short-term
>>> goal.
>>
>> That's a given. This task and improving RC don't compete (except, of
>> course, for bearing on the same people). I ask again, who wants to
>> champion std.refcounted? Rainer? Manu? Michel? Are you there? -- Andrei
>
> You should start with at least some sort of design document for what
> such module should look like.

The design is part of the championing. But haven't heard a peep - it
seems everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die :o).

> Right now it is not clear to me at all
> what kind of improvements are desired within current language limits.

The clarify it to yourself and others. Start with a library approach to
making reference counting easy and convenient. Then see how it informs
possible language improvements.

Andrei