New opportunities for D => ASM.js

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 15 10:36:53 PDT 2014

On 5/15/2014 3:51 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Wednesday, 14 May 2014 at 20:50:47 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>>
>> For the story, mozilla dropped out of the NaCl project so they
>> can pull out their me too solution. Now we are back to where we
>> were 10 years ago with the browser war. We could have one unified
>> standard int he name of NaCl, but fuck that, now we have too.
>>
>> ASM.js is inferior in every possible way (slower, bigger source,
>> more overhead, you name it) to NaCl except one: ASM.js run in a
>> standard JS interpreter. Except that if you are using this, it is
>> because you need the speed in the first place. To take the
>> example of video game, can you claim that the game works when you
>> run it at 0.5fps ?

Yea, exactly. I've never really complained much about asm.js because,
well, at least it's an improvement over JS (and isn't just simply
"another browser-forced language I'm expected to learn, use, and enjoy"
like Dart). But yea, the whole "backwards compatible with regular JS" is
a big load of shit, and yet asm.js makes fundamental design compromises
simply for the sake of that fundamentally broken "feature".

>> Sadly, because of mozilla moves with ASM.js, there is no industry
>> standard to run native things in the browser. Until things settle
>> down, these are cool, but useless technologies.
>
> That is what the desktop is for anyway.

Yea, see that's the real root issue behind this whole "Browser Wars 2.0"
clusterfuck. A bunch of web-obsessed asshats keep trying to shove every
damn thing into a browser window. Shit, they don't even fucking *know*
why they do it, they just don't question "web is the future", as if it'd
be some kind of heresy.

We could've had some damn good cross-platform
zero-install/sandboxed-ez-install infrastructures in place by now (ie,
the *only* legitimate motivations for webapps) if all these clowns
hadn't been wasting all their effort on this idiotic pig-with-makeup
house of cards that is "web 2.0".