Memory allocation purity

Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 16 04:59:49 PDT 2014

On 05/16/2014 01:56 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/15/2014 4:00 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> What if the language allowed the user to supply a proof of purity, which
>> can be mechanically checked?
>
> I think those sorts of things are PhD research topics.

Well, feasibility has long ago been demonstrated and I hope those ideas
will eventually see general adoption.

> It's a bit beyond the scope of what we're trying to do with D.

Sure, but it still makes sense to be aware of and think about what would
be possible. (Otherwise it is too tempting to get fully sold on inferior
technology, based on the mistaken assumption that there is no way to do
significantly better.)