D to ASM.js vs D to Dart (VM)

Etienne via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 16 06:27:56 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-16 2:14 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> Only if you are speaking about V8, as the other VMs (Nashorn, Webkit,
> Gecko) do use bytecodes, multiple levels actually.
>
> --
> Paulo

Well it does need to be converted to bytecode at some point but my point
is that there can be changes in the code's typing - Javascript is not
typed so the dynamic typing is taken for granted but in a typed language
it's an important decision to just switch over an 64 bit -> 8 bit
dynamically depending on profiling, it has the potential to adjust
instructions for branch prediction to succeed more and even carry more
into the CPU registers for tight algorithms which (theoretically) would
beat plain C with -O3 on intel compilers with an intel cpu =)