D to ASM.js vs D to Dart (VM)

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 16 06:45:47 PDT 2014

On Friday, 16 May 2014 at 13:21:22 UTC, Etienne wrote:
> On 2014-05-16 9:12 AM, Chris wrote:
>>
>> I don't trust product / company centric software. It will lock
>> you in or
>> lock you out.
>
> Google doesn't have a reputation of creating company centric
> software. SPDY was adopted by other browsers as well. If steam
> picks up on Dart, it could very well be adopted even by IE14 if
> that browser doesn't go the Netscape way ;)

You're kidding, aren't you. How can anything developed by a
company become a real standard, catering for what developers
need? The thread about Go not featuring generics is a good
example. Look at what happened to Java. Market shares, strategic
thinking, these all play into it, and don't forget the BIG EGOS
you usually find among those who run those huge companies. Do you
think that all decisions are made based on sound empirical
evidence? Yeah, right.