D to ASM.js vs D to Dart (VM)

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 16 07:15:19 PDT 2014

On Friday, 16 May 2014 at 13:52:37 UTC, Etienne wrote:
> On 2014-05-16 9:45 AM, Chris wrote:
>> You're kidding, aren't you. How can anything developed by a
>> company
>> become a real standard, catering for what developers need? The
>> thread
>> about Go not featuring generics is a good example. Look at
>> what happened
>> to Java. Market shares, strategic thinking, these all play
>> into it, and
>> don't forget the BIG EGOS you usually find among those who run
>> those
>> huge companies. Do you think that all decisions are made based
>> on sound
>> empirical evidence? Yeah, right.
>
> You know the C programming language was pushed forward by AT&T
> right? And you know Google's SPDY is part of the HTML2 draft? I
> don't know what your opinions on the big corporate machines
> are, but some really smart software engineers and pioneers are
> being employed there with revolutionary ideas.

C isn't the best programming language. Only because something is
everywhere, doesn't mean it's good (Windows comes to mind, and
other big brands). As to the revolutionary ideas, are they really
revolutionary or do they serve some corporate interest? Are there
better ideas that will never be put into practice because they
don't serve or even go against corporate interest? Is D still a
small player because it is too community-oriented? (I hope this
will never change!)

Mind you, how many of the big "be all end all"-technologies that
have been hyped over the years are really good (including
community base projects)? JS, Java, Ajax, PHP, Ruby, iOS, Android
...? With good I mean really good, not omnipresent.