D to ASM.js vs D to Dart (VM)

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 16 07:41:19 PDT 2014

On Friday, 16 May 2014 at 14:20:36 UTC, Etienne wrote:
> On 2014-05-16 10:15 AM, Chris wrote:
>> C isn't the best programming language. Only because something
>> is
>> everywhere, doesn't mean it's good (Windows comes to mind, and
>> other big
>> brands). As to the revolutionary ideas, are they really
>> revolutionary or
>> do they serve some corporate interest? Are there better ideas
>> that will
>> never be put into practice because they don't serve or even go
>> against
>> corporate interest? Is D still a small player because it is too
>> community-oriented? (I hope this will never change!)
>>
>> Mind you, how many of the big "be all end all"-technologies
>> that have
>> been hyped over the years are really good (including community
>> base
>> projects)? JS, Java, Ajax, PHP, Ruby, iOS, Android ...? With
>> good I mean
>> really good, not omnipresent.
>
> I'll have to go with: If it managed to serve corporate
> interest, that's because you were satisfied by it and suggested
> to others to "vote with their money".

... or because nobody ever had a real choice (Windows comes to
mind again). Talking about creating monopolies, cartels and the
like. This goes for everything, not just software. Do people
learn English, because they think it is a beautiful language or
because they have to, if they want to access a global market?
Does the omnipresence of English mean that it's the best language
ever (Bien sûr!) and that's why people "vote" for it? Isn't it
sometimes just choosing the lesser evil instead of being able to
choose something really good?