D to ASM.js vs D to Dart (VM)

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 16 11:26:08 PDT 2014

On 5/16/2014 9:21 AM, Etienne wrote:
> On 2014-05-16 9:12 AM, Chris wrote:
>>
>> I don't trust product / company centric software. It will lock you in or
>> lock you out.
>
> Google doesn't have a reputation of creating company centric software.
> SPDY was adopted by other browsers as well. If steam picks up on Dart,
> it could very well be adopted even by IE14 if that browser doesn't go
> the Netscape way ;)

Google's reputation hasn't very well matched it's reality for quite some
time. They basically don't give much more of a rat's ass about standards
and compatibility than MS these days. Even Gmail's alleged "POP3"
feature works in bizarre non-POP3 ways. If they don't even give half a
shit about making something as basic and standard as POP3 behave like
it's supposed to, how can anything that's much more heavily Google-based
be trusted long-term?

Even if NaCl/Dart/whatever do wind up in all the other browsers, the
modern-day Google would be prone to making goofy arbitrary changes to
their version on a whim, with or without reasonable justification. It's
just how Google is these days. They're not the cute little upstart they
were 15 years ago. They're a 600lb gorilla now, they full well know it,
and they're not afraid to use that to pull whatever they feel like.
"Don't be evil" my ass. It's not as if that was ever setting a very high
bar in the first place.