New opportunities for D => ASM.js

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 16 11:52:43 PDT 2014

On 5/16/2014 2:21 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> The ideas behind the browser are great, when looked from the Xerox PARC
> hypermedia research, the implementation however leaves a lot to be desired.
>
> The problem is that currently it is a document format, trying to be an
> application, with a clustf**** of JavaScript/CSS/HTML with more
> compatibility issues than when C was being standardized.

Exactly. I actually love HTTP/HTML as a document system (especially the
older versions of HTML that deliberately left style/formatting mostly up
to browser/user, with the ability to override when really necessary).
Not perfect of course, but still quite good overall.

But then using it as a GUI engine and software platform is like abusing
Latex or PDF to make software run inside Acrobat Viewer. All the effort,
bloat and compromises...and for what point?