New opportunities for D => ASM.js

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 16 12:53:29 PDT 2014

On 5/16/2014 3:26 PM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
> On Friday, 16 May 2014 at 18:55:44 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>
>> I don't see many webapp areas than cannot run as proper software ;)
>
> Hehe :) Well, it is a question of cost and control.
>
> You cut:
> - development costs

Ha ha hah ha. No. God no. ;)

> - installation costs
> - upgrade costs
>
> You win:
> - no more piracy
> - full control over data and backups
> - fully datacenter based, cuts on maintenance
> - cross platform
> - less crashes

All of that is just as easily solvable without a web browser and
HTML/CSS/JS. The browser and HTML/etc are completely incidental to the
way those were solved.

We could've had all that by now if so much effort hadn't been wasted on
HTML/etc.

> You loose:
> - performance
> - privacy
> - power user stuff

Those are very significant downsides.

> I'd rather have HTML5 than Adobe Flex which was the main competitor.

Well yea, granted. Any software development tool/tech from Adobe is
guaranteed to be the worst possible garbage imaginable. HTML5 is a
rancid burger with half a dog turd on it. Adobe Flex/Flash/whatever is
just simply a big bowl of diarrhea.