New opportunities for D => ASM.js

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 16 13:11:21 PDT 2014

On 5/16/2014 3:15 PM, David Gileadi wrote:
> On 5/16/14, 11:52 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> But then using it as a GUI engine and software platform is like abusing
>> Latex or PDF to make software run inside Acrobat Viewer. All the effort,
>> bloat and compromises...and for what point?
>
> I assume that question is mostly rhetorical, because of course the point
> for many companies is that while some subset of users may have Acrobat
> Viewer installed, everyone has a browser.

My point was just to illustrate the absurdity of contorting a document
format into an applications platform.

As an irrelevent side note with no particular point being made: Acrobat
Viewer is still depressingly common, and I'd say PDF viewers in general
are about as ubiquitous as web browsers.

> Compare the process of
> installing a native app (even on simple devices like phones) to the
> single click for loading a web app. Add to that making sure the user
> gets timely bug fixes and new features and it's easy to see why web apps
> make sense for many companies.
>
> It's just tragic that the format for them evolved through HTML; it's
> become monstrous and deformed in all the ways you've discussed.

Yea. See, none of those perceived benefits of web apps have ever
actually required web browsers at all. It would have taken less effort
to build those benefits *outside* of web browsers, than what has already
gone into the endless failed attempts to de-shitify "web as an
applications platform". But no, everything's run by managers, and
managers want quick fixes because they don't comprehend hidden costs. :(