[OT] DConf - How to survive without a car?

Lionello Lunesu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 19 06:37:20 PDT 2014

On 07/05/14 06:11, Mike wrote:
> On Tuesday, 6 May 2014 at 02:20:46 UTC, Lionello Lunesu wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After last year's incident with my tires getting slashed, I'm really
>> hoping I can do without a car during this year's DConf. How feasible
>> is this?
>>
>> I'll be staying at Aloft. Would be great if there's someone I can
>> share a ride with. I've also seen there's a public bus going more or
>> less to FB and back, so I should be good there. (Right?)
>>
>> But how about getting to SFO or down town? Am I causing myself a whole
>> lot of pain (albeit of a different kind) by not renting a car? To be
>> clear, I'm not looking for an economical option, just peace of mind.
>>
>> Lio.
>
> I'm wondering about this myself.
>
> My current plan to get from SFO to the Aloft is via BART (SFO -> Balboa
> Park -> Bay Fair -> Freemont) and then take a bus or a taxi from
> Freemont to the hotel.
>
> It looks like one could take bus 200 from the Aloft to the Ardenwood
> Park-and-ride, transfer to bus DB, and cross the bridge to Facebook.
>
> But, thinking about it a little more, a car is starting to look pretty
> good.
>
> Mike

The GM from Aloft replied to my inquiry about transportation:

"There are shuttles at the airport and you can always arrange for one to
take you back from the hotel as well.  Public transportation options
would be the BART which is our local subway system.  This can take you
from SFO to the Union City Bart Station which has cabs posted outside
and it is then just a 10-15 cab ride to the hotel."

Have inquired further how to recognize the shuttles at SFO.

L.