64-bit DMD for windows?

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 20 20:15:20 PDT 2014

On 21 May 2014 05:15, Temtaime via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> Sorry i misunderstood you.
> Yes dmd supports x64 on windows but it doesn't work without external tools.
> It's a main trouble i think.

MSVC is the de facto standard toolset for Windows. How do you
interoperate with any other conventional windows libraries if DMD is
not MSVC compatible?
This is the key development of DMD for Win64, and it's the only reason
D is practically useful on Windows at all. I pine for the day that
32bit will get the same treatment.
The Microsoft linker is freely available, it produces debug output
that's compatible with the majority of windows tooling, and it's
generally good.

If you argue that your environment is exclusive of MSVC (how so? do
you use MinGW or something?), then surely the obvious thing to do is
to NOT use DMD. Use GDC or LDC, which are better compilers, and link
happily against MinGW code/libs.
The only deficit I see in the Windows world is not having a useful
Win32 compiler.