Mass-enabling D => License question

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 21 02:17:33 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 21 May 2014 at 07:50:33 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> I don't think John was talking about linking against dmd, merely
> having the user download and run it standalone, which the GPL
> doesn't prohibit.

You can modify a GPL'ed compiler to work as a stand alone server
with shared memory interface. You are allowed to distribute it as
a binary with other kinds of software. You don't have to make
source available unless the receiver of the binary explicitly
requests it, and only for the GPL'ed server.

GPL is based on copyright law (WIPO) in order to work under
different jurisdictions, so it is fairly permissive.