Mass-enabling D => License question

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 21 03:02:30 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 20 May 2014 at 22:50:45 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 20 May 2014 at 20:44:57 UTC, Andre wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I like D due to its clear syntax and power. For a business
>> application developer what is really missing is a full blown
>> IDE which enables
>> Rapid Application Development.
>> => GUI
>> => Database
>> => Internet components
>> => Refactoring
>> => ... and a lot things more
>>
>> If I compare the time I need to develop a D application and a
>> delphi
>> application there are several weeks between unfortunatelly
>> (my experience).
>>
>> I wonder whether it is possible from a license point of view to
>> develop an IDE for D and sell it? Of course there are license
>> issues
>> due to fact that D must be integrated in the package but
>> someone would
>> only pay for the IDE.
>> On the other side, a good IDE will mass enabled D for business
>> application developer.
>>
>> If someone will create an IDE for D like Borland has done for
>> Delphi
>> this would lead to an huge success for D in my opinion.
>>
>> What do you think? Would you appreciate such an IDE?
>>
>> Kind regards
>> André
>
> What licensing problems do you foresee? Bear in the mind that
> although the dmd backend has a restrictive licence that
> prohibits redistribution without permission, permission to
> redistribute is normally easy to get from Walter.
> Alternatively, if the clients computer does the download of dmd
> from dlang.org as part of the IDE installer then you circumvent
> the problem entirely.
>
> To the best of my (limited) knowledge, the open source licenses
> used in all 3 main compilers do not prohibit redistribution
> and/or selling for profit.

Also, note that linking to GPL licenced shared
libraries/dlls/dylibs or whatever you use doesn't necessarily
mean the GPL has got you wrapped in it's rather fuzzy web.  AKAIK
it's a matter of debate and has never been tested in court, but
it's enough for many current creators/distributors of closed
source software for linux who call various GPL system libs via
the shared library interfaces.

Also - and this is the biggest thing that people fail to realise
in all software license debates - it is a practical impossibility
to create a software license that is well defined and valid in
all jurisdictions. For a global enterprise, almost *everything*
is legally fuzzy.