What's the issue(s) with scope vars?

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 22 12:31:43 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 22 May 2014 at 19:08:53 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> I know there's been a lot of chatter about scope vars needing
> work, what exactly is the deal with that? Isn't there a lib
> version of scoped? Are there current problems with that?

You speak about scope storage class (aka scope classes as in D1).
It has been deprecated and replaced by Phobos scoped.

Recent chatter is about scope type qualifier which is supposed to
prohibit escaping references to variable making it only available
in current and nested scopes. There are many possible
applications for that - safe casting away for shared, safe rvalue
references, efficient reference counting and so on. It is
currently present in the language but has no actual
implementation, being effectively a NO-OP.