Why is there still a web archive for the newsgroup?

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 23 08:10:24 PDT 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 02:30:56PM +0000, Chris via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 23 May 2014 at 14:12:38 UTC, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> >I've always been skeptical of SEO. Google is known to implement
> >changes to their ranking algorithm specifically to counter
> >artificially inflated PageRank's. Why spend the time and energy
> >pulling all those stunts, that could be better spent producing *good
> >content* instead??!  IME, if you have good, regularly updated
> >content, eventually Google will find you, and once it finds you,
> >you'll have a solid PageRank way up near the top, and you won't
> >easily fall back down (unlike if you invested in questionable SEO
> >tactics that gets targeted by the next algorithm upgrade, then
> >suddenly your precious PageRank evaporates overnight).
> >
> >This happened to my personal hobby website: I did absolutely no SEO
> >whatsoever, and for the first few years I was nowhere to be found on
> >Google (unsurprisingly). But I kept up with the solid content, and
> >eventually Google found me. Then others found me through Google, and
> >started linking to me, and up I went in rank. Today my website is way
> >up there with related Wikipedia entries and other high-ranking sites.
> >Total amount of SEO effort: zero.  Draw your own conclusions.

> And the address of that hobby website would be ...?

http://eusebeia.dyndns.org/4d

If you search for "4D space" or "4D Euclidean space" it comes out on the
4th result in the first page. Other related search terms vary in rank,
but a good number of 4D-related keywords have my website on the first
page, for example "16-cell", "24-cell", etc., which appear right below
the corresponding Wikipedia and Wolfram Mathworld pages.  If you search
for "bilunabirotunda" (admittedly, that's a very rare search term :P),
my website outranks Wolfram Mathworld. :P

The page ranks do vary quite a bit depending on the exact search term,
but remember, I did absolutely *zero* SEO here -- not even to organize
my pages in ways recommended by most SEO experts.

Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous? -- Hobbes, from Calvin & Hobbes