Easy & huge GC optimizations

Etienne via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 23 10:38:27 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-23 1:29 PM, Chris wrote:
> I know that CPU's do a good bit of guessing. But that's not the same
> thing. If they err, they make up for it ("Ooops, it's not in the cache!
> Will get it from HD, just a nanosec!"). If the GC errs, how do you make
> up for it? Please educate me.

If the GC errs, worst case you lose a few bytes of free space (Type 1
Error: skips collection for an object). If it weren't already known, the
worst case would be that destructors are not guaranteed to be called..
but that's taken for granted now. Worst case will never be access
violation even through machine learning