Including Dub with D

Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 24 12:25:16 PDT 2014

Am 24.05.2014 20:34, schrieb Nick Sabalausky:
> On 5/24/2014 1:54 PM, Jeremy Powers via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d <
>> digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Nobody has said anything about removing JSON support. It's been stated
>>> that JSON support is *staying* as an option. SDL will merely be the
>>> recommended format.
>>>

>> Yes - my point is that moving to SDL while keeping JSON just means you
>> now
>> have two formats you need to support.  This will likely have the
>> effect of
>> fragmenting things, with any tooling needing to support both.
>>

> Not really. "dub describe" takes care of that. And (if it doesn't
> already) DUB really should also provide an API to directly query all a
> package's info, letting DUB handle all the parsing.

Exactly, the recommended way to work with package descriptions is always
to use "dub describe", or to use DUB as a library, which enables working
with packages on several abstraction levels.

There are a lot of package features that need to be supported and it
doesn't really make much sense to try and reimplement all of that in
every IDE - especially as long as the format isn't 100% stable.