auto-tester hardware donations

Brad Roberts via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 25 11:33:05 PDT 2014

On 5/25/14, 7:54 AM, monarch_dodra via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Saturday, 24 May 2014 at 17:58:08 UTC, Brad Roberts via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> As discussed a little at the conference, the auto-tester is almost always hardware bound.  In
>> other words, it's building flat out 24/7.  More hardware == faster updates to build status.  If
>> anyone wants to provide hardware to help there's a number of ways to do so.  Here's my order of
>> preference:
>>
>> 1) you have a machine you host somewhere and can provide me remote access to.
>>     - this could be a bare metal host or a vm
>> 2) you have a machine that you're willing to send to me
>> 3) you're willing to fund equipment purchase or vm rental
>>
>> At this point, I'd MUCH rather have hardware that doesn't live in my house.  I've got too many
>> already.  But I also don't want to turn down good equipment.  So, please reach out to me privately
>> if you'd like to help out: braddr at puremagic.com
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brad
>
> Would there be any way to be able to set-up and configure the machines on our end, and to "register"
> them into the auto-testers once they are ready to go?
>
> It feels unfair that even if the machine is in my home, that it's still you who has to maintain it.
> In particular, I imagine you'd be powerless to do much of anything when you can't remote into the
> machine...

Don't worry about the fairness to me.  I actually want remote access so that I can fix things when
they need to be fixed, at least within the realm of the tester breaking.  In terms of the host (be
it a vm or the physical machine) breaking, I'd certainly turn that over to the owner to deal with.
Regardless, it's a pretty rare event that I need to login, but when I do I want to be able to do it
right then and not need to wait for some back and forthing over email or whatever.

Later,
Brad