Dev. Collaboration

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 27 00:34:02 PDT 2014

On 27/05/2014 6:48 p.m., simendsjo wrote:
> On 05/27/2014 02:12 AM, chuck wrote:
>> Would anyone be interested in a collaboration forum? I am thinking of
>> starting one on Proboards to aid in development/collaboration between
>> developers on D and libraries/bindings. Reading through the posts, I
>> have seen that several people have created small projects that do the
>> same thing (I have seen multiple for MySql alone, none of which has
>> really gained true traction).
>>
>> So here is what I propose:
>> 1) The forum will be host different aspects of development
>> (Database/bindings, Phobos development, networking tools, etc.).
>>
>> 2) Form dev. committees to fill the most useful tasks in the group of
>> choice. For example, focusing on doing one thing quickly and sustainably
>> rather than burning out creating a project alone that will be difficult
>> to maintain afterwords.
>>
>> 3) This should help increase the number of code examples, increasing the
>> visibility of D to anyone interested. Hopefully, this will also increase
>> the community.
>
> I think it's a great idea - DETF (D Engineering Task Force).
> For this to succeed, I think connecting to existing communication
> channels is very important. This means NNTP/mailing list, github,
> auto-tester, dub, wiki (with DIPS) etc etc.
> Setting up some new PHP forums will only split the community.

I will only support something like DETF if it only deals with
specifications, not actual implementations.

The reasoning being, together they will provide feature requirements and
library definitions that are required in D to be able to work in most
problem domains.
Essentially a massive todo list.

The goal of course will be to meet all of them spec wise for any project
you start that involves them. Which of course we can reference in the
spec outline.

The priority would not be to start new projects, but to make existing
projects meet the specs where required.

This could even be integrated into dub/dub repo. To make it easily
browsable.

But at the end of the day, its just to generate ideas. Gives a direction
for where we want to go.