New pointer type for GC

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 27 07:54:26 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 27 May 2014 at 14:42:34 UTC, Etienne wrote:
> I think the GC is the future of D considering it's embedded to
> the very core of the language, and compatibility with C code is
> ... elementary.

Well, but then I think you should be required to do manual
tracking while it is being retained by C code. Basically a ref
counter that keeps it marked reachable by the gc until released.

> You slow the GC down by as much total memory there is in all
> threads vs the avg in a thread, AND you remove parallel
> collection - by not having the Thread ID in gc ptr references

Not if you restrict the gc heap to a set of blocks. You can also
keep thread info in the heap memoryblock.

> behavior of a language if it stops its world. As a matter of
> fact, I can't see any other way of fixing the GC than adding
> the Thread ID in there :/

By having multiple local GCs?