System level language, GC, allocation and typeinfo

Etienne via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 27 10:08:04 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-27 9:06 AM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
> I think it makes a lot of sense to think in the direction of the post of
> Etienne and have allocator based pointer types. With a template heavy
> coding style it becomes less problematic than in a language like C. If
> you go templates all the way. That could reduce the amount of scanned
> memory significantly. Basically I think a system level language should
> have at least owned/borrowed, ref counted and gc-pointer types.

I agree about this.

The GC could be optimized under x86_64, with 18,446,744,073,709,551,615
possible values you don't exactly have any computers with 18 exabytes
(18,000 petabytes) of memory. This is a lot of wasted space that could
be used to make the GC lookups at O(1) speed with parallel collection.