D affects others

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 28 10:05:10 PDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-05-28 at 16:31 +0000, Wanderer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> It's very hard to keep up-to-date with all these successors to
> Java. Every half a year a new language appears, and it's always
> "better than all previous". :-(

I am not sure which languages you are thinking of here, there really are
not that many languages seriously proposed in the Java-verse. cf.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_JVM_languages

Of course in academia everyone involved in programming language research
has to propose a couple of new languages a year to get funding. A very
sad system and state of affairs.

> D's const feature is nice and clear. But what made me "fall in
> love" with D, is 'immutable' modifier. No inner mutable pieces
> possible, no need to copy defensively (or copy at all), no risk
> of data corruption, no matter how complex your data is. Very
> clever idea.

We definitely like immutable :-)

--
Russel.