New pointer type for GC

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 28 10:27:18 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 28 May 2014 at 17:21:18 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 28 May 2014 at 14:16:56 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> Big language change which does not fix any fundamental issue.
>
> Having a GC pointer type + several other mechanisms could
> reduce the amount of scanned memory to a level where it slips
> below the "pain threshold" for interactive apps. That's a
> fundamental issue for anything that is not batch.

No this is simply annoying problem. We are unlikely to break
anything to fix annoyances (even huge ones).

Fundamental issues in my opinion are those that result in type
system holes or make certain common/desired code impossible
without resorting to lot of assembly magic. Or areas that are
complicated beyond explainable.

Adding GC pointer type does not enable anything that you can't do
write now for high-level applications and does not help at all
low-level applications. It is niche solution.