New pointer type for GC

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 28 10:45:59 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 28 May 2014 at 17:39:21 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> Get this into upstream and you will have dozens unhappy about
> updating for their code. It is never that simple.

It doesn't have to be in upstream. It could be an experimental
compiler implemented in pure D. I would back that, if Etienne is
willing.

There is a need for a strong typed language that can compile both
to asm.js, PNACL and to machine language. I doubt that the
current incarnation of D is suitable, so a reduced set of D with
better GC/malloc support and tight codegen for small downloads
would be welcome for interactive apps.

I agree with you that D2 won't get this, but that does not
prevent someone from creating D-.