std.experimental – DConf?

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 29 05:10:02 PDT 2014

On 29/05/14 09:55, David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> In any case, could somebody please outline the discussion here? To me, directly
> proposing modules for std.experimental that haven't gone through being a
> (popular) code.dlang.org package first seems to be at odds with promoting the
> latter as an incubator for library development.

Can't speak for the DConf discussion, but to my mind, the criterion shouldn't be
"Have they proven popular on code.dlang.org?" but, "Does the design look
promising and is it likely to be of broad interest?"

Requiring people to prove themselves in a popularity contest first seems to me
to get in the way of the aim to have a fast-moving,
able-to-quickly-get-user-feedback-and-make-breaking-changes part of the standard
D toolchain.