std.experimental – DConf?

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 29 05:52:03 PDT 2014

On Thu, 29 May 2014 03:55:24 -0400, David Nadlinger <code at klickverbot.at>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> There seems to have been some discussion regarding std.experimental at
> DConf, as several proposals to add modules to it have popped up over the
> last few days. Maybe Andrei's keynote had something on it (I
> unfortunately missed it)?
>
> In any case, could somebody please outline the discussion here? To me,
> directly proposing modules for std.experimental that haven't gone
> through being a (popular) code.dlang.org package first seems to be at
> odds with promoting the latter as an incubator for library development.

In andrei's talk he said we should add std.experimental. I don't think
there was much discussion, people liked the idea. There was no discussion
on how things would be placed in there (i.e. up for debate), but it
definitely is going to be there. I actually did not know about
code.dlang.org until Andrei brought it up in his talk, so there may be
quite a few people who aren't aware of it.

Best I can do from memory ;)

As for my opinion, I think std.experimental is good for modules that are
definitely going in phobos but have not been fully design-tested. It's a
place to add standard library items that the API is unstable for. It sucks
to have stuff like std.stream and std.xml in there which people now depend
on, so we can't change the API, but are no longer favored implementations.

I think it would be fine to be able to promote things from code.dlang.org
to std.experimental (or std for that matter), but I don't think it should
be a prerequisite.

-Steve