D Users Survey: Primary OS?

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 29 13:32:58 PDT 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 03:24:13PM -0500, Tom Browder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Tom Browder <tom.browder at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone done a survey of the primary OS of D users?
> >
> > I (a D newbie) use Debian Linux (64-bit), but I get the feeling that
> > many (if not most) users are on some version of Windows.
>
> So far it's looking like my perception is way off (I have been
> affected a bit by the Windows-only tools on the Wiki such as htod).
[...]

You wouldn't be the first one. Some time ago an irate user posted a rant
about how D needs to have more Linux love, and how many problems plague
D on Linux. Quite a strange rant, considering that a large proportion of
forum members here are Linux users, and we haven't seen any of the said
egregious problems. :)

Perhaps it's because D works so well on Linux that we hardly ever hear
from the Linux people, whereas Windows support is plagued with issues so
people are constantly talking about it, thus giving the impression that
the forum consists primarily of Windows users? Just wild speculation on
my part.

Truth, Sir, is a cow which will give [skeptics] no more milk, and so
they are gone to milk the bull. -- Sam. Johnson