std.experimental – DConf?

Marco Leise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 29 17:27:00 PDT 2014

Am Thu, 29 May 2014 18:35:49 +0200
schrieb Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>:

> On 29/05/14 16:47, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > javax was the experimental branch for Java's experimental code. Now javax.xml is
> > PERMANENT.
>
> Point taken.  That said, I fear that _any_ module or package that gets widely
> used carries such a risk.

But why didn't they change it?

o Didn't they make it clear enough that a rename is coming?
o Was it known, but impractical to change all Java code?
  (I.e. closed source byte code files would break)
o Were both the original xml implementation and javax.xml used
  too much to replace one with the other? (Assuming the APIs
  were different.)

I remember javax being mentioned here a few times as to why
"version 2" packages are proven bad, but noone ever mentioned
what ultimately stopped Sun from moving javax.* packages.
It is possible that in D we might have a different view on it.
E.g. versioned Phobos shared libraries or better communication
of what to expect from the experimental package.

--
Marco