Re: std.experimental – DConf?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 29 18:28:32 PDT 2014

On Thu, 29 May 2014 18:35:49 +0200
Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>
wrote:

> On 29/05/14 16:47, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > javax was the experimental branch for Java's experimental code. Now
> > javax.xml is PERMANENT.
>
> Point taken.  That said, I fear that _any_ module or package that
> gets widely used carries such a risk.

If we make it clear up front that our policy is that nothing will stay in
std.experimental permanently (at some point, either it gets moved into std in
one form or another or it gets removed entirely), we explicitly state that the
API in std.experimental can (and likely will) change, and we explicitly state
that we will _not_ support the code in std.expermental long term unless/until
it gets moved into std, then anyone who relies on std.experimental never
changing has no one to blame but themselves.

- Jonathan M Davis