std.experimental – DConf?

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 29 21:57:00 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 29 May 2014 at 07:55:26 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There seems to have been some discussion regarding
> std.experimental at DConf, as several proposals to add modules
> to it have popped up over the last few days. Maybe Andrei's
> keynote had something on it (I unfortunately missed it)?
>
> In any case, could somebody please outline the discussion here?
> To me, directly proposing modules for std.experimental that
> haven't gone through being a (popular) code.dlang.org package
> first seems to be at odds with promoting the latter as an
> incubator for library development.

It supposed to have a higher visibility than code.dlang.org, but
I agree that there is a certain overlap.
  From my point of view std.experimental should be used for modules
where the API needs a bit more tweaking and some field tests. So
if we already had that earlier, we'd probably have
std.exp.d.lexer, std.exp.log and std.exp.benchmark by now. So I
see it more as a staging area for new Phobos modules rather than
as a free experimental space.