std.experimental – DConf?

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 30 03:53:46 PDT 2014

On Friday, 30 May 2014 at 10:35:57 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Friday, 30 May 2014 at 05:20:57 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
>> Also please don't analyze this to death. It's meant to reduce
>> friction, not increase this.
>
> I'm not sure whether your comment was just targeted at the
> naming discussions, but in general, I find it very valid to
> discuss the details of the proposal, especially the interaction
> with package management.
>
> The benefits of having std.experimental over just bundling dub
> with DMD must be clear and the separation well-defined.
> Otherwise, this change will only increase friction instead.
>
> Personally, I rather like the idea of std.experimental being a
> staging area for libraries that already passed some initial
> round of review (be it in the form of a dub package or
> otherwise) to get more widespread attention before being "set
> in stone". We desperately need something like this, as the
> review process has turned out to be to rigid for fear of
> including suboptimal APIs, yet at the same time has failed to
> catch several design problems as only few reviewers typically
> made an effort to actually use the code.
>
> I, however, don't think that std.experimental is a good way to
> gather initial feedback for a module, as the compiler release
> cycle is just too inflexible for that.
>
> David

It's always, always easier to experiment by releasing a dub
package. Including a module in the standard library requires the
approval of a commity. You can always release a dub package, no
one is going to stop you.

std.experimental is probably best used for things that are 90% of
the way into being included in std. We could find out how to
address the remaining 10% then by seeing how people actually use
the modules.