D Users Survey: Primary OS?

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 30 07:07:22 PDT 2014

On Friday, 30 May 2014 at 13:37:47 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Friday, 30 May 2014 at 13:27:10 UTC, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>> On 29/05/2014 22:12, Dicebot wrote:
>>> When similar question was asked during one of DConf talks
>>> vast majority
>>> raised their hands as Linux users ;)
>>>
>>> It is not that surprising considering D currently is most
>>> mature for all
>>> kinds of services and server-side applications and this is
>>> domain of
>>> Linux supreme uncontested rule.
>>
>> That might have some influence (the kind of apps that people
>> are making), but I disagree that it's the main factor.
>>
>> I suspect the poorer Windows D toolchain support  is a bigger
>> influence.
>
> When volunteer effort is main development power actual use
> cases drive toolchain enhancements, not other way around. It is
> not like someone intentionally has made better tools for Linux
> just to make Windows people sad.
>
> Also native platform tools being open-source greatly helps in
> building D ones on top. Remember that Walters article about
> adding 64-bit support to DMD? He had to effectively reverse
> engineer object file format to become compatible with Microsoft
> tools.

Mind you, D doesn't need omnipotent toolchains. A text editor and
command line will do. I now use DUB, but you can still get away
with "$ dmd app.d ..." or shell script. Toolchains and IDE's
should not be a criterion for evaluating a language. "Oh, D
doesn't have an IDE / proper toolchain", that doesn't mean the
language is bad. It actually means that the language is so good,
it doesn't need them. It's a nice-to-have but not a must have.

Do you have a link to Walter's article? Thanks.