std.experimental – DConf?

Chris Williams via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 30 09:32:55 PDT 2014

On Friday, 30 May 2014 at 01:39:26 UTC, Jonathan M Davis via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thu, 29 May 2014 20:55:32 +0000
> Dicebot via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> I have discussed this with Andrei shortly after he has merged
>> PR
>> that adds `std.experimental` to Phobos. Looks like he actually
>> thinks about it as `std.staging` - place for almost complete
>> Phobos modules to bring more attention to them while still
>> being
>> able to make breaking API changes.
>
> If that's the case, then I'd be inclined to argue that what
> should go in
> std.experimental is modules that past the Phobos review process
> so that rather
> than sticking them in std directly, they go in std.experimental
> for a release
> or two so that they get better battle-tested before actually
> being put into
> std, where APIs shouldn't be changing. So, rather than doing
> anything to speed
> up the development process, std.experimental is for making sure
> that APIs are
> solid before they get set in stone in Phobos proper.
>
> - Jonathan m Davis

While I like the idea of a std.experimental, I would also suggest
an attribute like "deprecated". I had been intending (should I
ever have free time...) to add some features to std.concurrency,
but I don't think there's any way to access the module-level
private variables from a different file (?). Short of duplicating
the contents of concurrency.d into a new file under
experimental/, I don't know that there would be any way to trial
the features without going straight to main.