D Language Version 3

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 30 09:36:35 PDT 2014

Reposting this without the html problems...

On Wed, 28 May 2014 08:41:43 +0000
Don via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 28 May 2014 at 03:25:28 UTC, Suminda Dharmasena
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > D2 has been out for a while. Looking to see what the roadmap is
> > like towards D3?
> >
> > Suminda
>
> No, it has not been out for a while. I would even say that it's
> not out yet!
> It still doesn't exist yet in the same way as D1.
>
> D1 was a clearly defined snapshot of the language at a particular
> moment in time.
> The feature list is unchanged since D1.014, except for array
> operations which were finally implemented in D1.034. It reached
> release 1.076 just with bugfixes, ie there were 61 bugfix
> releases.
>
> D2 is the ongoing language development, and we still don't have a
> stability branch more recent than the D1 branch. Almost every
> release has contained a new feature, and I can't see that
> stopping anytime soon.

Not to mention, there probably aren't even all that many places that we'd
change the language in a non-backwards compatible way even if we could start
from scratch (and even in those places, we might not change them in D3,
because it would make porting from D2 to D3 much riskier). By no means is D2
perfect, but for the most part, I think that we can either fix the problems
with it without resorting to D3, or we'd end up having similar problems in D3
anyway.

Regardless, we need to make D2 a success before we even consider considering
creating something like D3. And there may never be a D3. That's a question that
really shouldn't be up for discussion for years yet.

- Jonathan M Davis