std.experimental – DConf?

Chris Williams via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 30 10:51:31 PDT 2014

On Friday, 30 May 2014 at 17:35:39 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> You mean like http://dlang.org/attribute#deprecated ?

Yes, except named "experimental".

>> I had been intending (should I ever have free time...) to add
>> some features to std.concurrency, but I don't think there's
>> any way to access the module-level private variables from a
>> different file (?). Short of duplicating the contents of
>> concurrency.d into a new file under experimental/, I don't
>> know that there would be any way to trial the features without
>> going straight to main.
>
> First, if it is a minor increment, it can be proposed as a pull
> request for std.concurrency.
>
> If it is a major overhaul, we need to review it more broadly.
> This is kind of the problem with just adding things to std,
> which is why the std.experimental branch was proposed -- it's
> so difficult to get bad design out of the standard library
> after it has been released. The deprecation schedule takes
> years.
>
> -Steve

Not an overhaul but also not minor, just adding different
interfaces:

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/kfmkxsgeeijwkndldrmj@forum.dlang.org

Again, this is assuming I ever have the free time to do it, but I
could see other such issues popping up. In the case of
std.concurrency, since each thread gets its own set of global
variables, the module itself is effectively the "struct" of
information for each thread, including the thread message box. If
I wanted to insert into the message box, I would need access to
the module privates.