H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 1 08:00:53 PDT 2014

On Sat, Nov 01, 2014 at 09:38:23AM +0000, Dicebot via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 31 October 2014 at 21:33:22 UTC, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
> >Again, you're using a different definition of "component".
>
> I see no justified reasoning why process can be considered such
> "component" ad anything else cannot.
>
> In practice it is completely dependent on system design as a whole and
> calling process a silver bullet only creates problems when it is in
> fact not.

I never said "component" == "process". All I said was that at the OS
level, at least with current OSes, processes are the smallest unit
that is decoupled from each other. If you go below that level of
granularity, you have the possibility of shared memory being corrupted
by one thread (or fibre, or whatever smaller than a process) affecting
the other threads. So that means they are not fully decoupled, and the
failure of one thread makes all other threads no longer trustworthy.

Obviously, you can go up to larger units than just processes when
designing your system, as long as you can be sure they are decoupled
from each other.

"No, John.  I want formats that are actually useful, rather than over-featured megaliths that address all questions by piling on ridiculous internal links in forms which are hideously over-complex." -- Simon St. Laurent on xml-dev